Many women suffer from postpartum hair loss. It may begin right after birth or 3-4 months after it. This disturbing phenomenon usually lasts a few months, but there are also cases in which it lasts more than a year.
What makes some women after birth lose their hair?
During pregnancy, your body is flooded with hormones. Thanks to these hormones the hair becomes thick and strong and grows much faster (There are advantages in being pregnant).
After birth, as the body gradually returns to normal hormonal functioning, the situation is reversed. Your hair follicles get from a growth phase (anagen) into a regression phase (catagen) in which hair bulbs are detached from blood supply, shrink and weaken. Soon after the hair follicles enter the ‘rest’ phase (telogen) and end at the last phase (Exogen) in which they shed.
Quick hormonal change, vitamin and mineral deficiency during 9 months of pregnancy and lack of sleep after birth accelerate this growth-shedding cycle. The results is postpartum hair loss.
What can be done?
Hair loss after pregnancy is a natural phenomenon and nothing can be done to prevent it. However, there are some ways to minimize the damage and help your hair recover faster.
1) Eat a healthy and balanced diet. Avoid junk food, sweets, and other harmful foods. Include fruits, vegetables and meat in your daily menu. The most important nutrients to keep your hair strong are calcium, vitamin A, B, C and D, fatty acids and minerals, such as zinc and iron. It is recommended checking whether there are some nutrients your body lacks. Dietary supplements prescribed by your doctor may help you balance your diet.
2) Sleep well even though it’s difficult with a baby at home. When your baby falls asleep, you should follow suit. Housework will be there when you wake up.
3) In the first few months after birth, don’t dye your hair and don’t use mask made of unnatural materials as they may worsen postpartum hair loss.
4) Drink plenty of water, at least 8 full glasses a day.
5) Cut hair edges if they are burnt or split.
6) If you feel that your hair loss worsens, it may be a good idea to consult a dermatologist.
Two recommended homemade hair mask to strengthen your hair
Rosemary hair mask
Fill a tightly sealed jar with rosemary leaves. Shake the jar 3 times a day for three weeks and then squeeze the leaves. Spread the oil you will get on your hair while gently massaging your scalp. Wash your hair thoroughly after 60 minutes.
Cilantro (coriander) hair mask
Boil a glass of water and add fresh cilantro leaves to it. Sieve the liquid you will get. After it cools, wash your hair with it, wait for 20 minutes and wash your hair again with plenty of clean water.